English Department Student Organizations
The English Department is home to two English studies-related student organizations: Otterbein’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honor Society, and Quiz & QuillDự đoán xổ số Khánh Hòa, Otterbein’s student literary journal. Both organizations offer students chances to connect with students and faculty in the field, hone leadership skills, and benefit from valuable out-of-class professional development experiences.
Our student organizations also hum with great social energy by coordinating student readings, themed parties, and literary gatherings designed to nurture the creative and critical work that Literary Studies and Creative Writing students love.
Quiz & Quill
Quiz & Quill is Otterbein’s student literary organization. Our spring magazine and chapbooks have featured the best poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, dramatic writing, and art by Otterbein students since 1919. We also manage submissions for the annual Quiz & QuillDự đoán xổ số Khánh Hòa Writing Awards and host numerous open mics, readings, and workshops throughout the school year. Staff members register for ENGL 2294 Literary Magazine Practicum (or just look for that course in the schedule to learn our current meeting time and location).
Dự đoán xổ số Khánh HòaIt’s easy to join our staff: just come to the next meeting or check out our to get invitations to events, writing prompts for publications, etc. Check our page for the official calls for submissions.
Sigma Tau Delta
The International English Honor Society, Sigma Tau Delta represents distinction and opportunity. It opens doors. It gives students a chance to connect with students and faculty in the field, lead their local chapter, compete for several scholarships, apply for internships with major publishing companies, and submit papers for presentation and publication. Sigma Tau has over 750 active chapters, and approximately 8,500 members are inducted annually. Historically, the Society:
- Honors excellence and achievement in English studies
- Nurtures students’ intellectual, personal, and professional development
- Generates interest in literature, language, and writing
- Offers community and belonging to its members
- Provides scholarship, conference, internship, and publication opportunities
- Participates in the national organization’s annual BWB (Better World Books) Drive
Membership in Sigma Tau Delta rewards outstanding academic accomplishments and investments. It offers students a chance to network, connect, lead, publish, conference, and earn scholarships. Candidates must:
- have completed a minimum of two college English courses beyond the usual requirements in freshman English;
- earn a B or equivalent average in English and in general scholarship;
- rank at least in the highest thirty-five percent of his/her class; and
- complete at least three semesters of college course work.
English majors are also regularly involved in the publication of Aegis, Otterbein’s interdisciplinary humanities journal; kate, the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program‘s feminist zine; and Otterbein 360, which is housed in the Communication Department.